If you’re shopping for supplements for the first time, you have plenty to learn. Not knowing what you’re buying is dangerous. You need to know a little about this type of product before purchasing to know whether they’re the right fit for you. This article will give you some information when considering the purchase of supplements for your health.
What Exactly Are Supplements?
This question is one of the most common questions asked if you’re buying them for the first time. According to the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA), supplements are a unique class of food. It’s not some medicine that you can take through injections. It only becomes useful when ingested. Generally these might include:
- Amino Acids
- Plant Ingredients
- Protein Powders
What Type Of Supplement Do You Need?
There are mainly four types of supplements. Those that mostly contain vitamins and minerals, plant ingredients, protein, and even supplements that have various components. You need to know what they are so you can tailor them to your needs. There’s also websites, such as Predator Nutrition, that have a list of supplements and how you can get them. These four sets of ingredients have each of their uses, and these are:
- Vitamins and Minerals – This category is the most common supplement taken by people. However, there’s also categories in which the vitamins and minerals are divided. Supplements that contain these substances can either have one nutrient as the main ingredient, or multiple nutrients, or what we call as “multivitamin supplements”. If you lack a specific nutrient, getting these nutrients from supplements is highly recommended.
- Illness Control – Most of the ingredients in supplements are great for fighting diseases, and this is why special cases are usually the ones that take this supplement. They take them to prevent further damage in their body caused by conditions. For example, those that have heart complications take supplements that have fatty acids as the main ingredient to help lower their risks.
- Weight Control – Most of the people that use this kind of supplement are bodybuilders and dieters. This supplement has protein as its main ingredient and protein helps with being athletic and controlling your weight. But don’t be fooled, getting too much of this type of supplement is the worst out of all the categories.
What Happens When Supplements Expire?
Have you ever wondered what would happen if supplements reach their expiration date? This question is important if you’re buying supplements for the first time. You might be planning to take it slow, so you’ll need to take a supplement that won’t expire in a short time.
Expired nutrients aren’t dangerous when you ingest them. They won’t turn into some toxic material that when ingested makes you sick. The nutrients only lose their usefulness when this happens.
Benefits of Supplements
There are many benefits of supplements, but what should be the most significant benefit of them all? If you have a balanced diet, you already have the necessary nutrients to live for a long time, so why need supplements? These are questions that make you wonder, but let’s clarify them once and for all.
- They provide you with additional nutrients that you lack in your diet or if you have a disease that hinders your diet. That’s the real benefit of supplements.
- If you really want to lose or gain weight, then this is great for you. Different supplements control your protein intake and helps with managing your weight. Just don’t overdo it, there are consequences that you won’t like.
- You will also enjoy a healthier lifestyle when taking supplements, that is, if you’re still unsatisfied with your current lifestyle.
- They can help lower your blood pressure.
- They can promote glowing skin by eating supplements.
- They can help you fight your anxiety depending on the type you take.
- Weight loss becomes more comfortable with supplements. But remember, it only “helps” and it won’t be effective if you don’t do any other action for losing weight
Remember, not all supplements have these benefits. Some might only have one or two of these.
How Many Supplements Do You Need To Take?
There’s data in the label of the supplement that explains how much you can take in a fixed amount of time, so make sure that you check that out. Supplements will contain vitamins whether you like it or not, and taking in a lot of vitamins in a short period is very dangerous for your health. Track your intake of supplements and to be sure, here’s a list of what vitamin can cause complications if overeaten.
- Vitamin C: Diarrhea, Insomnia
- Vitamin D: Bone Pain
- Vitamin E: Diarrhea, Nausea
- Vitamin A: Chronic Toxicity
Now that you know all of that, are you ready to buy that first supplement that you’re looking forward to using? Make sure to buy in a health food store if there’s any around your place. Good luck buying your first health supplement.